Monday, August 8, 2011

Frida Kahlo and her Importance to me as an Artist

The popularity of Frida Kahlo, Mexican Artist and Inspiration to many women, has grown leaps and bounds over the years. Her rich history, life as an artist, challenges with her health,zeal for life, and passionate yet stormy marriage to Diego Rivera, all lent to our fascination with her and her importance in the art world.
Each of us that admires her, more than likely has something in common that they can relate with in her.
For me, what is it that lends to my affection for her?
As an artist with a disability, I admire her for her endurance..her endurance to continue to live a full and rich life in spite of the challenges, to create what was in her heart, and her ability to use her voice in so many ways.
I think of Frida often when I am painting or sculpting, especially in those moments when I am living with great pain and feel empty..and I am soon revived in Spirit.
To me, Frida lights the candle in a darkened room.
Frida Kahlo Art Doll by Jeanne Fry


This weekend, I completed an art doll of Frida - a reminder to live a passionate life.

Frida Kahlo Art Doll by Jeanne Fry


SOLD

Featured Post

The Arrival a Women's Empowerment Spirit Doll

The Arrival is one of my most popular spirit dolls, inspired from a poem that I wrote some years ago.  The Arrival "I...